Monday, March 30, 2015

The 2015 Marine Corps 17.75K

As I mentioned in my last post in 2013 I ran the Marine Corps 17.75K in order to get a guaranteed entry to the 38th Marine Corps Marathon. In 2014 I did not run either of these two races but I had heard the course changed from the previous year. Now in 2015 I knew I wanted to run the 40th Marine Corps Marathon and with the new lottery process in place from 2014 I decided that I should secure my spot by running the 17.75K this past Saturday March 28th. I also entered the lottery just in case something might happen to stop me from running the 17.75K and if I happened to get both entries I would give one to a friend....however I did not get in through the lottery so I HAD to run the 17.75K.

Registration

There are about 3,000 spots for the 17.75K and when the registration period opened at noon on March 11, 2015 just about a week and a half before the race I was ready sitting at my computer so I could get registered. I was lucky as my registration went through for this race which sold out in 7 minutes. I found that the registration process was very easy and only took me about 5 minutes as you had to fill in a bit of information. I heard from others who did not get in that they got to the payment page but then were kicked out and unable to register....I assume the way it works is that it lets you begin the registration process but depending on how fast others register if by the time you get the final page it sells out tough luck.

Packet Pickup 

The race took place in Prince William Forest Park in Dumfries, VA so naturally the packet pickup was close to this location which was a pain in the butt for those of us who don't live in that area especially since you only had one day to get your race packet which was a week day between the hours of 10AM and 6;30PM. Living in DC I would have to take 95 South to get there and waiting to go after work would be a nightmare since I would be stuck in rush hour traffic. So I decided to take the day off and pick up my race packet around 10AM to avoid traffic....95 is pretty much always backed up no matter what time. So on Friday a little before 10AM I left my house and headed to VA Runner over in Woodbridge near Potomac Mills. I ran into some traffic but nothing too crazy. The packet pickup was pretty straight forward and only took me about 5 minutes after which time I hopped back in my car to drive back home. At this point it was about 11AM and I noticed that 95 South was now very backed up and I was thankful I decided to leave my house when I did.

Race Day

The 2015 17.75K was scheduled to begin at 7AM on Route 234 right by Montclair Tabernacle Church. In order to get to the start if you were commuting like I did you had to go to one of three designated locations where a shuttle would drive you to the starting line. In 2013 the starting line was located a bit further east which was convenient for me at the time since I stayed at the Econo Lodge right across the street. This year there really were no hotels walking distance. There was a partner hotel with a shuttle but the nightly rate was quite steep. Anyways....so these shuttles ran every few minutes between 5:30AM-6:30AM. Runners were asked to be at the designated stations no later than 6:15AM. I figured I would have to use the restroom and check a bag before the race so I planned to be there by 6AM which mean I had to wake up at 5:20AM so I could get dressed, hop in my car, and drive the 30 miles from my parents' house in Alexandria. 

It was an extremely cold morning with temperatures below freezing...I think it was 30 out....I had planned on leaving my sweatshirt at the bag check so I would over heat but could have something to wear while I waited around. I boarded the shuttle at the commuter lot on 234 and when I arrived at the start it was about 6:15AM and it was freezing and dark out. I stood in line a few minuted to use the restrooms then I checked my bag. Now I had about 40 minutes until 7AM. So I looked for somewhere to wait that was more sheltered because not only was it cold it was also windy. There was no such place to find shelter...the church was open but those who got there very early had already filled it up to capacity so I stood with many other runners behind the Marine Corps RV to hide from the wind. 

One of the race sponsors Sentara handed out face masks for runners which were much needed and much appreciated as we all continued to freeze. I am not sure if it was poor planning or what but the sun was not scheduled to begin to rise until around 7AM so that may have been the reason the race was delayed about 15 minutes. We all stood near the start jumping up and down or doing whatever to try and warm up. My muscles felt so tight and when the race finally started I struggled about the first mile trying to warm up and get my muscles loose.

Hanging out with my face mask on by the Marine RV trying to keep warm pre-race

The course ran through Prince William Forest Park and was full of hills....soooo many hills. About the first 3.5 miles were on gravely trail then you were on a paved road for the 6 miles or so then back on to the trail for the remaining miles. I had not looked at the course map prior to the race so I thought it would be a out and back race when I spotted mile marker 10 near mile marker 1. Between miles 1 and 5.5 we seemed to continue to go up hill with some slight down hills. You would run on a flat for a few minutes only to see a giant hill looming up ahead. After mile marker 5 I was looking for the turnaround and looking forward to some downhill action but the turnaround never came and that is when I realized it wasn't out and back but somewhere along the course...mile 9 the course took you pack to the original path for the last 2 miles. At mile 9 we got back onto the trail and went downhill for a bit but then at about 9.3 miles we ran into a sharp uphill...at that point I still had not warmed up and my legs felt like lead so I attempted to run the hill but ended up walking it...when I got to the top of the hill I began to run again only to run into another hill around mile 10 but this time it was not as steep so I ran it. Once I crossed that finish line I was so happy that I was done and now had a medal (apparently this was new this year as in the past they gave finisher coins) and I had my access granted pass for the MCM. I was so tired and cold I decided to not go to the food and giveaway tents I just picked up my bag and hopped on the shuttle back to my car.

Finisher medal, race bib, and access granted card

This year's course was different from 2013 and much more difficult. I can't say if it was the same as last year since I did not run it. If it wasn't so cold I think this would have been a much more enjoyable race. It truly was a challenge and I was very proud to cross that finish even though my pace was about a minute per mile slower than usual. If you are looking for a challenge I would suggest signing up for this race especially if you also want to run the MCM just be prepared to perhaps take a day or half day off work to get your race packet if you are driving but don't live in the area and to get up very early and deal with the weather...in 2013 the weather was much nicer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment