Monday, March 2, 2015

St Patrick's Day 5K and 10K

This weekend I ran my first race…well two races… of 2015…Pacer’s St. Patrick’s Day Double. This race consisted of running a 5K that began at 8:15AM followed 45 minutes later by a 10K. Runners taking part in the double would finish the 5K then have a break…or not…depending on how fast they ran the 5K before starting the 10K. Both races began and ended in the same location in front of the Washington Monument on 15th St NW.

The weather race day was anything but favorable…temperatures where in the mid to high 20’s and it began sleeting a bit after 9AM. The course for the 5K began to the left of the Washington Monument…so you were facing towards Independence Ave...the course then turned right onto Independence and made its way onto Ohio drive and eventually turned around just after the Memorial Bridge overpass and then continued along the tidal basin and around the Jefferson Memorial before making its way onto Raoul Wallenberg Pl back toward the Washington Monument. The 10K course followed a similar route but went down Rock Creek Parkway to the turn around right after the Kennedy center from their the course looped back around to Ohio Drive going around the tidal basin and the Jefferson Memorial then up Maine Avenue turning left on to Independence where at the intersection with 23rd St the second turn around led you back onto Independence towards Kutz Bridge after which you followed the same route as the 5K back to the Washington Monument finish. So the run it’s self was very pretty and scenic mostly flat with just a few hills.
Starting line for both the 5K and 10K

I ran the 5K in just over 23 minutes and was still feeling my bumps and bruises from falling down the stairs earlier that week and my ongoing hip issues…my left hip/piriformis gets really tight when running and causes to have poor running form that results in piriformis pain…it was getting better with yoga but this past week I was lazy and only went on Monday then fell down the stairs Thursday…anyways so upon completing the 5K I had about 20 minutes before the start of the 10K so I went to use the restroom and blow my nose. Those 20 in between minutes were not good to my already sore muscles which stiffened as they cooled down in the frigid temps. I made the decision to take it easy on the 10k as to prevent any injuries. I ran the 10K course which became a little slippery once the sleet started to fall and the little ice particles coming down and into my eyes was not pleasant. However I finished the 10K and was very happy to do so and happy that I took it easy and didn’t cause myself further injury before the Rock n Roll DC Half.

Runners huddled around the aide tents between races on a dreary day

To summarize the St. Patrick’s Day 5K and 10K were both very nice races and I am sure they would have been much more enjoyable in more favorable weather and if I wasn't injured. I will definitely being registering again next year since this course is one of my favorites in DC.

Next weekend I am doing the Georgetown 10 Miler 2 Day Challenge…running a 10 mile race on Saturday and another one on Sunday. I plan on going to yoga pretty much all week and taking these two races at a moderate pace as well. 

Office Race Times for St Patrick's Day 5K and 10K

5K-  23:34
10K-51:48

No comments:

Post a Comment