Tuesday, March 24, 2015

The 2013 17.75K/Marine Corps Marathon and My Quest to Do Both Again in 2015

In October 2013 I ran my first full marathon…the 38th Marine Corps Marathon. At first I had planned on training for it. I was running about 5-6 miles three times a week and attempting a longer run usually about 7 miles on the weekend and hoping I would eventually get into higher mileage. I was also getting speed work and hills in twice a week through Potomac River Running’s Running 201 program. I eventually did on 14 mile run on my own then decided long runs were too boring on my own and that the half marathons and ten milers I was signed up earlier that fall would be enough (I only did 3…definitely not enough). Come time for the marathon I wasn’t as prepared as I thought but hell I was going to do my first marathon. I had hoped to finish it in less than 4 hours but being unprepared mentally and physically got me across the finish line in a decent 4:14:57. My first marathon started out with me at a decent 8:10min/mile pace but I sped up and ended up activating (right word?) my ongoing piriformis issues around mile 7. For the remaining 19ish miles I ran/walked/jogged, stopped at the porta potties several times because of “stomach issues” (not sure what that was about…I didn’t eat all through the race except one Gu so that could be it). Eventually I finished and it was the best feeling ever and I had plans to do it all again in 2014 but to actually train this time.
My 2013 MCM Finisher Medal...the globe spins
A grainy photo I took as I waited at the start of the 38th MCM


Now for 2013 the registration process was first come first served but due to the mass number of registrants the systems kept crashing resulting in many complaints and a lottery system imposed for 2014 onward. Luckily for me in 2013 the 17.75k, another MCM Race series event, announced that the prize at the end would be an access code for a guaranteed entry to that year’s MCM. The 17.75K is run at the end of March in Prince William Forest Park in Virginia near Quantico.  In 2014 I missed the registration for the 17.75K and decided my second marathon would be the Richmond Marathon in November. I registered for it in November of 2013 so I had plenty of time to train….fast forward about 7 months and I have really aggravated my piriformis so much so that I am stuck not running for the next 5 months….that’s what running 6 halves, 3- 10 milers, and several other races in about three months will do to you if you don’t stretch and strengthen. So I deferred my Richmond Marathon entry to this coming November 2015.
My race bib, access granted card for the MCM, and finisher chip from the 2013 17.75K

In October 2014 I moved to DC…I’ve always lived near the city but never in it…so I got to experience all the hype of the 2014 MCM and see all the runners waddling to brunch after the race with their medals all around the city…this really made me jealous so from that point on I became determined to run the MCM once again in 2015 despite having another full just 3 weeks later. This time I plan to train smart.

To enter the MCM this year I sat ready at my computer waiting for the clock to say 12:00PM on March 11, 2015 and the registration for the 17.75K to open. I got in! Apparently the event limited to about 3,000 people (not sure that is correct but that’s what someone told me) sold out in about 7 minutes. The regular lottery process opened on March 13th for 10 days. I also signed up for that just in case I don’t finish the 17.75K…if I do get into the lottery and finish the 17.75K then I would give my access code to a friend who may not have gotten in either way…hopefully I’ll end up getting in.

The 2015 17.75k is this Saturday March 28th at 7AM and I should find out about my lottery entry tomorrow. I’ll let you know about how both turn out in my next post on Sunday. I’ll also provide you with a description of both the 17.75K and MCM in my race posts for this year that way they are fresher in my mind and more accurate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment