Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Shake Shack Track & Field + SoulCycle Duathlon


Yesterday I took my first SoulCycle class at their Mount Vernon Square location in Washington DC. I had been wanting to check them out for a while but the heft price tag per class had always kept me from doing so…$20 one ride for new students then $30 per ride after that.  I got my chance to check them out for free as part of the Shake Shack Track & Field Duathlon where we would first meet up at SoulCycle for a free 7:30PM class then run 2 miles to Shake Shack.

Shake Shack in conjunction with Pacers Running Stores has a monthly run club that meets the second Tuesday of every month at the Pacer Logan Circle location and runs 1, 3, or 5 mile routes to the Shake Shack in DuPont Circle where the first beer is free for those who ran. Prior to this run I’d only run with this club once when I went with a friend. I thought the run was great but the club kind of reminded me of high school where everyone was in their own clique my friend and I ran with the group then we had beer and burgers at our own table. Being an introvert I never went back since my friend was now longer in the area and my other friends and my boyfriend can never make it. If you are a social butterfly and make friends easily then check it out or if you aren’t find a group of friends and check it out. I would definitely try to go more but the location is also a deterrent for me…no metros near the start and DuPont isn’t that close to where I live.

Anyway back to SoulCycle…so once I arrived they gave me cycling shoes which is great because I didn’t bring mine and at many gyms and other cycling studios I’ve been to they don’t give you cycling shoes so you simply ride in your athletic shoes that are strapped into the pedal which don’t give you as a great a workout as cycling shoes. SoulCycle’s bikes are not equipped for non-cycling shoes so if you don’t bring your own then ask for a pair…also their pedals have one side for normal cycling shoes with clips like most bikes do and the other side with a clip distinct to their shoes…it took me a while to figure that one out.

SoulCycle Mt Vernon Square
The class was pretty awesome and very motivating with heart pumping music and dimmed lights. The instructor was very upbeat but at times he reminded me of Ben Stiller in Dodgeball because he would come around to the bikes and get all crazy in your face to motivate you. After the workout I was drenched in sweat and felt very energized and happy like I do after a good workout.
I did not do the running portion of the duathlon as it was raining and the class got out at 8:30PM and of course I did not want to have to transfer metro trains late at night but several people did do the two mile run from SoulCycle to the DuPont Shake Shack.

If you have the money, find a free class, or just want to check it out once I would recommend that you do. If I had the money I would definitely try and go to SoulCycle for my cross training days.

No comments:

Post a Comment